Monday, May 30, 2011

When you don’t want to do God’s will for your life.

If your feeling this way, you are not alone. Even our Lord Jesus Christ experienced this very thing in His own life.


As you can see from Mark 14:36 it says, “And He said, Abba, Father, all things are possible for you. Take this cup away from Me; nevertheless, not what I will, but what You will”


When Jesus was facing the cross, in one sense He did not want to go through with it. It’s a mystery to us, because in other places in the Bible its speaks of Jesus coming into the world to do just that thing, to go to the cross to die for our sins and bring us salvation. But, in another sense, it’s clear that He did not want to go through with it. So, your not alone. But, please notice what He did. He said nevertheless, which means, yet, or notwithstanding, and rather. It’s a word of transition.


It means, I don’t want to do one thing, but let me move to another thought. And that thought is, regardless of what I want, I will do what You want me to do. And that is my supreme desire, it’s to carry out Your will.


So, the next time you are conflicted about doing the will of God, may God help you to follow the example of Jesus Christ. Don’t focus on what you don’t want to do, but rather on what God wants you to do. Ask God to help you. He will give you the grace in that moment.


Father, many things are easier said then done. And, this may be one of them. But, we know Lord, that when You call us to something, we are able to do it. Not by our strength, but by Yours.


In Jesus name.

Pastor Bob Grenier

Calvary Chapel Visalia


Applicational thoughts


1. God’s grace is sufficient to help us.

2. When we are at the end of our rope, there is no where to turn but to God.

3. Be encouraged, remember times in the past when God has delivered you.

4. Don’t be condemned, many others have had the same experience.

5. Remember, there is no condemnation to those in Christ Jesus

6. God is Your helper, be patient, He will help you.


2 comments:

  1. Hi again. It's been my own personal experience that when I'm brought to the end of myself ( in a situation where I don't want to do or face what the Lord has for me ) that in my weakness, the Lord has always been faithful to help me. I can't always explain it, but I know He does it. He is faithful, and I have found Him to be so for the last 38 years of my life. May it be so for you also if your going through a difficult time right now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love what the apostle Paul said in 2Cor. 10:9-10, "My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore most gladly I will rather boast in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me. Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in needs, in persecutions, in distresses, for Christ’s sake. For when I am weak, then I am strong". Often times we forget that God gives us His strength to do His will, especially when it's difficult. That's what happened to Paul...He pleaded with Lord three times to take a very painful thing out of his life and the answer was, "No, it's not My will to take it away, instead I have given you My grace and My strength to bear up under it"...and in so doing Paul learned to rely upon God's strength in his life instead of his own...What a wonderful lesson for us to learn. When we run out of our own resources we find there are inexhaustable resources found in God who is almighty and all powerful...Paul said in Phil. 4:13, that He could do all things through Christ who strenghened him. Oh Lord, teach us to rely on Your strength to do Your will.

    ReplyDelete